perennial veldtgrass, perennial veldt grass, veldtgrass
- Ehrharta calycina is a perennial grass that can grow up to 4 ft. (1.2 m) tall.
- Leaves are green to reddish or purple tinged, flat, 3-8 in. (7.6-20.3 cm) long, and usually wrinkled along the margins.
- Flowers are in clusters 4-6 in. (10.2-15.2 cm) long, and yellow to purple in color. Blooming period occurs in spring.
- Ehrharta calycina seeds are small and dark brown. Fruits ripen in summer. It only reproduces through seed.
- Ecological Threat
- Ehrharta calycina prefers disturbed areas including grasslands, roadsides, and coastal habitats. It is native to South Africa.
- DiTomaso, J.M., G.B. Kyser et al. 2013. Weed Control in Natural Areas in the Western United States. Weed Research and Information Center, University of California. 544 pp.
- Moore, G, Sanford, P & Wiley, T 2006, Perennial pastures for Western Australia, Department of Agriculture and Food Western Australia, Bulletin 4690, Perth.
- University of California, Jepson Flora Project
- California Invasive Plant Council
- USDA NRCS PLANTS
- USDA ARS GRIN
Images from Bugwood.org